Top 15 Outdoor Activities in the Royal Gorge Region
1. Mountain Biking-The Royal Gorge Region is quickly becoming a best kept secret for mountain biking in Colorado. Following the lead of the Bureau of Land Management, local recreation groups have built several miles of singletrack in the area. Standing out are the Oil Well Flats network of trails and Section 13, just a few miles from downtown.
2. Whitewater Rafting- You can't come to Fremont County and not test your adventurous spirit. The Arkansas River from Buena Vista to Cañon City is one of the most heavily rafted sections of river in the country. There are several commercial outfitters that can take you to any level of excitement you desire.
3. Rock Climbing- Shelf Road & Oak Creek Grade climbing areas offer a variety of mixed routes. Whether you prefer the limestone cliff of Shelf or the granite crags of Oak Creek Grade, there is definitely a challenging route in your future.
4. Cycling- Fremont County offers several paved routes to challenge your fitness and wow you with beauty. Whether you are tackling the "backside" of the Royal Gorge or rolling up Red Canyon road, our region has everything a cyclists desires.
5. Hiking- There are hundreds of miles of trails in the Royal Gorge Region to lay your tread in the dirt. Visit our routes page for some of the best.
6. Fishing- The Arkansas River is quickly becoming the premiere destination for anglers in Colorado. Come see why!
7. Cruiser Bike Ride- The Arkansas Riverwalk offers a smooth dirt path that follows the river's edge. Grab your bike, or rent one, and enjoy an afternoon rolling down the trail.
8. Trail Running- Looking to get off the streets? Try out one of the numerous singletrack trails in the area. Our routes page list several options to take you somewhere new.
9. Duckie/Tubing-If you want to beat the summer's heat, try floating down the town stretch of the Arkansas River. Grab your life jacket and inflatable and drift through this class I-II stretch to experience Cañon City from a new angle.
10. Photography- Take advantage of the varied geology, architecture, and scenery that the Royal Gorge Region has to offer. Whether you are catching the sunrise in Red Canyon Park or watching the Royal Gorge Route train leave station, capturing the moment is a snap.
11. Disc Golf- Pueblo Community College Fremont Campus is home to a challenging Gorge Hills 9-hole course offering varied wooded terrain that highlights the geology of the area.
12. Zip Line- Looking for an adrenaline rush like no other? Try zip-lining at the top of 8 mile hill. This experience is not only breathtaking but will also offer you a unique view of the Royal Gorge.
13. Parks- The City of Cañon City has several city and mountain parks just waiting to be explored. Red Canyon Park is a local favorite and is known for it's delicate spire and stunning red Arkose Sandstone.
14. Jeep Tours- With miles of county and dirt roads, Fremont County has a variety of options to take you off the beaten path. Consider taking Phantom Canyon up to Cripple Creek and completing the loop down Shelf Road.
15. Dinosaur Hunting-The Garden Park area was home to the famous "Bone Wars" that lead to numerous discoveries and findings. Colorado's state dinosaur was unearthed only a few miles from downtown Cañon City. Visit the Dinosaur Musuem or travel up to the quarries. Going back in time has never been more exciting!